Some Thoughts on Sports in Society…

Welcome to the Hanover High Sports in Society Blog. Here are some thoughts, events, ideas, and questions!

October 2015

1. High School Sports: Concussions are a huge setback for a student-athlete and his / her team. “I hate concussions!” (per 1 BP)

September 2015

1. High School Sports: Coach Schneider is an amazing teacher, coach, and friend who has impacted thousands of lives in Hanover. She is approaching 500 wins in field hockey! LEGEND!
  2. Professional Sports: Tom Brady and the Patriots are back! Defending Super Bowl Champions!
  3. Youth Sports: Parents think about college scholarships before a child is conceived! E:60 Sperm U!
  4. Youth Sports: A Scituate U8 youth coach calls his team GREEN DEATH and sends out a controversial email!
  5. Legislation is being discussed to ban on-line gambling.
  6. Youth Sports: Flag Football is fun for elementary aged players.
  7. Boston radio stations love Pro teams and athletes ( WZLX interview with Captain Jerod Mayo /  / ) @WEEI @WATD
  8. Quarterbacks and coaches are important to success in the NFL!
  9. The whole world can see the talented CB & the Hanover Football team!
  10. They have an APP for that and it is FREE! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miaa/id987574520?mt=8
  11. Youth Sports: Guest Thought “Keep youth sports in perspective!”
  12. Youth Sports: KISS (the Rock Band! PC) KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!
  13. College Sports: Mike Sirignano is a an amazing two-time Division III All-American! (We hope to reconnect with him this year!)
  14. College Sports: Not all athletes handle adversity well. Nebraska football throws a pick, the QB throws a temper tantrum, and an OL commits a personal foul. http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400756923 
  15. College Sports: BU has a club hockey team coached by former Hanover High All-scholastic and state champion. 
  16. September 27th: Tom Brady joins the 400 TD passing club and Stephen Gostkowski set NFL record for most consecutive PATs.
  17. Youth Sports: Interesting bumper sticker on 4-door truck. New vocabulary for many of the U9 soccer players.
  18. High School Sports: There is zero tolerance for hazing! High School football cancelled because of alleged hazing of Swampscott freshman football playersSwampscott Superintendent of Schools Pamela R.H. Angelakis was not returned, but her office issued a statement on the matter: “On Monday morning, I became aware of an incident allegedly involving members of the Swampscott High School football team at Blocksidge Field Friday night. After speaking with the Swampscott Police Department, it became clear that the incident required further investigation by Swampscott Public Schools. “From what I have been able to determine, there were no adults present at the time of the incident. Understanding that all the facts have yet to be presented, I do not feel it is appropriate for the football team to take the field representing Swampscott High School at this time. As a result, we have canceled Tuesday’s freshman game and Saturday’s varsity game vs. Saugus. While the investigation is ongoing, it is not appropriate to comment further at this time.”
  19. High School Sports: NJ High School cancels football season as a result of hazing incident. Penn State stops recruiting a player involved in the incident Sayreville War Memorial High School.
  20. Pro Sports: Bill Belichick would never waste his time using twitter, however he has a foundation that sees the value in using social media to connect with others so we are following !
  21. Hazing is not a Sport! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVgkmYjQ80

21 thoughts on “Some Thoughts on Sports in Society…

1. Coach Schneider is an amazing coach! She has taught me many things throughout my highschool career and I’m so lucky I have her as a coach. 4 more wins till 500!

2. The patriots are doing amazing right now. Tom Brady is on fire because he is playing with a chip on his shoulder from deflategate. Right now he is proving to the league just how good he really is.

3. I think that legislation should ban Fan Duel and Draft Kings. There is a commercial of either site every 10 seconds on any TV channel. They also sponsor everything that has to do with sports so you never stop hearing about them.

4. I agree with the statement about the quarter back and coach. You most definately need a good coach to call plays and etc. You definately need a good quarterback as well. Look at Tom Brady for example if the Patriots didn’t have them I don’t think they would be as good.

5. Not all athletes handle adversity well is a very true statement. Some players overreact when bad calls are made or when the coach gives the advice. For example I’ve played on a team were on player and the coach would constantly argue.

6. Tom Brady made a milestone in his career last sunday when he made his 400th touchdown pass. With this being his 400th touchdown pass he is close to being one of the best quarterbacks the NFL has had in years/ever. Overall big weekend for the pats also having Stephen Gostkowski setting the nfl record for PATs. The patriots are a dynasty!

7. Youth sports video “E:60 Sperm U” was interesting because parents want very athletic children. One mother even said ” One of my sons is going to be Tom Brady and the other ones going to be the Victorian”. Parents are now breeding their kids to become outstanding athletes.

8. Youth sports video “E:60 Sperm U” was interesting because parents want very athletic children. One mother even said ” One of my sons is going to be Tom Brady and the other ones going to be the Valedictorian”. Parents are now breeding their kids to become outstanding athletes

9. With college sports I can see players not being able to handle adversity. There is a lot on the line every game and they are all passion about the game and if they mess up I can see players get angry and mad. We all have been there, I know I have a couple times but I have always bounced back because I know what to do to keep my head in the game and not fall into defeat because you let the team down by doing that.

10. Tom Brady continues to break records and the dreams of his opponents. Stephen Gostkowski is the best kicker in the league, continuing the trend of great Patriots kickers after Adam Vinatieri. The Patriots are on pace to have another unreal season!

11. All sports are important to help society run. Sports give us something to watch and unite with others who like the same teams. Football season is a time where everyone can come together, its like a family tradition every Sunday. I think that all athletes need to keep their cool on the field weather they win or lose. You cant let your fans or the other team see you breakdown. Parents need to not push their kids so much in youth sports, they need to just sit in the stands and cheer when something good happens.

12. I don’t online g*mbling should be banned, especially in the form of fantasy sports. G*mbling is legal and most people know the risks. Fantasy sports provides a fun way to compete without having to put down large amounts of money. Also it’s different because you have some control over your fate because you personally select your players.

13. Watching Tom Brady throw his 400th touchdown pass was very exciting. It is amazing to be able to watch the best quarterback of all time play.

14. Tom Brady has shown to the whole world even at 38 he’s better than ever and hungry for another superbowl win. Ever since the Colts said the Patriots deflated footballs they been an unstoppable force.